Saturday, April 25, 2020

1.38b Hormones Activate - Jyo



Jet has been researching close encounters of the verdant kind.




His work has not gone unnoticed.

Still, he manages to keep his writings objective and practical, so people are beginning to look forward to his published articles on the subject. He'll find out later that the huge meteor pieces 'Drea Sparrow' keeps in the backyard in open air are largely responsible for his up close and personal understandings of it all.



Meanwhile...



Food keeps disappearing.



Rude.



But life always marches on, no matter which direction one's life is headed.



The flying bug collection.



The 'To be irradiated' collection.





In a household where everyone seems to have their own clear vision and goals for the future, there is a youngest child, who steadies herself with mere consistency. The distant sight of the mountains, the smell of the sea, a fantastical oddity casually flaunted so as to be overlooked by a snooty and self-involved population.

Jyoti searches for the presence of self-awareness. Not in herself so much as in others. There must be something genuine in this plastic paradise by the seaside.



Spring is in full swing when Malcolm Meir sends her a message.

She was going to work out at home tonight, but the gym with a classmate sounds like an improvement on her routine. She sends an affirmative, fully expecting him to flake out last second.



He's been in her class forever. He's watched her for years, idly, in the periphery, there where her easy going laugh and natural charisma were on full display. It was hard to understand at first. And as a boy, hard to deal with. He never had that kind of confidence, to just, walk up to someone and become their friend. Demand to know how they were doing, or what they were doing, or to ever learn why.

Malcolm could never imagine it.



And now he's waiting for her. Someone who he was bold enough to message. He can't keep the earnest grin off of his face. Knowing her, she won't stand him up, even though she has no idea why he asked to meet her at the gym.



The gym is packed with people. He tries to keep his mind off the stress of the day and wait patiently. He wears second hand clothes, his dad's house was robbed yesterday when he was staying over, there are things to get done for school. Calm down, you look fine. If you feel fine, you'll look fine. It was in a self help book. Confidence is key.



Not that he has any. Jyoti Sparrow shows up and his mind goes blank for a few seconds. WtF was my opening going to be? I helped restrain a thief last night? She'll never buy that!



So he shakes her hand. “Hi.”

“Formal.” She comments. “We're in biology together, right?”

“Uh- right.”

“So is this about homework?”

“Um. No?”



“Awesome.” Then she helpfully launches into a subject she'd rather talk about. The stars are amazing when she's out for a run. Sometimes she has to sneak after dusk, but she's pretty sure her dad always knows she's out and lets her be. If she never going to use biology later in life, it should be an elective. She wants to know more about astronomy instead.



“They say Planet Beeboz is hidden by the dark side of our moon. You'd have to be an astronaut, to know for sure, I'd bet.” He tries to be helpful (or really, like he wants to have this as a conversation).

“This town is full of conspiracies.” She complains. “Besides, don't you have to go through like, all the ranks of the army to somehow make it into space? That sounds like a massive headache, if you don't die in a war along the way.”

Apparently that thought has never occurred to him. “Die in war? But think of all the lives you'd probably save first.”

Turns out he has the brave trait. “That sounds like something my dad would say.”



Outside of school, without her close friends there to impede, it really is easy to talk to her. Thirty minutes fly by, talking about nothing by the bathroom of the gym. He totally forgets what his excuse was to ask her here in the first place.



He has a nice smile, she thinks. She's never noticed it before. Probably because he never emotes in class or calls attention to himself, so she's not used to noticing him, at all.



“So if this isn't about homework or school, is it supposed to be some kind of a ...romantic outing?”



Wow that was a freebie. Okay. He's going to ask her out.



He has to. She's right there!



He takes a deep breath to gather his courage and try to calm down.



She's so pretty. Okay okay okay...




Don't overthink it-

And then Jyo starts to roll her eyes. She looks disinterested now, what did he say? Can he make it right again if he doesn't know what he did wrong in the first place? He might've waited too long.



Malcolm shakes his head. Forget it- go for broke-ask her now! “About that...” He begins.



“Do you think you'd-”

A towering, unhappy redhead appears in the periphery. He clams up immediately, recognizing her mom. “H-hi Mrs Sparrow...” He starts to mumble.




Meghan turns and looks him over. He feels his face heating up, like a frog in a pot.



“Jyoti Sparrow, it is after curfew AGAIN. I built an entire work out room for you to use when it's too late to be out and here I find you gallivanting around.”

“Gallivanting? What am I, on crusade?”

“Lucky thing I had a last minute specimen order from the hospital or I might've missed seeing that your car was parked here- why do you insist on worrying us like this? Better yet, grab your keys now. You can follow me home.”



Imagine being grounded in front of some guy who has a nice smile that you've never even noticed before despite him somehow attending your own teen birthday party. Well that just happened. She now has fifteen minutes to get back to the house.



Malcolm watches her grovel, and get forgiven. He gets the feeling that her parents have a soft spot for her. His dad would've raked him over the sea glass-littered beach.
“Just- give me another hour, I know you'll still be up then- I'll check in with you when I get back! I'm safe at the gym, not outside!”

Malcom waves. Was the the right place to wave? “Hey- it's okay...”



Finally for some reason or other, Meghan is appeased. Jyoti promises chores or something that she was going to have to do anyways as her mom was likely to forget. Probably feeding the specimens for the rest of the week.

“Fine, I'll see you in an hour. Exactly. One hour.”

“Thanks mom, see you later.”

“I'll see you in an hour.”

“Right, I'll see you in an hour.”



She jokes about her mom's interruption and he's already walked up as if the interruption never occurred. “I admire you.” He comments quietly. “You stay cheerful no matter what's going on. It takes a lot of strength to live like that.”
She does a bit of a double take. The conversation before this was so light and the tone was friendly. This sort of confession takes her off guard.
“Uh- thanks, I try I guess?”

But he's unable to laugh it off with her. “No, I'm serious. Whenever there's a disagreement in class or someone's upset, you work harder than anyone to cheer them up or fix their problem. I don't know if you have someone you like, but I'm sure you've never noticed someone like- me. But I've always noticed you. I just, didn't know how to talk to you before now. Thanks for letting me tell you that.”



She surprises herself by asking him out. Maybe just to see where things go? He smiles and can't look her in the eye. “If you're sure you want to.” He says. “I wasn't expecting-”

“It's fine. I'd like to- let's take a chance. If you don't mind.”



And doesn't he ever not mind.



They talk about family for awhile. He knows her dad is Element the Suspicious, who doesn't? School is littered with the children of famous people after all. Malcolm himself doesn't have a very close family, so it's nice to hear her talk about hers so warmly.



And she's surprised to learn that he's known Jet for years. “He always out tagging the sidewalk behind the school when I'm waiting for the late bus.” He clarifies.



Before long enough, the hour Jyoti was promised is almost up.

“I know it's late and all and you probably have to get back home. Do you mind if- can I give you a hug? Before you go.”



“If you have to make it awkward by asking.” She teases.

“Sorry, sorry! We don't have to- it just sounded nice...”

She lets him trail off a little.



And they share a quick hug.



Then it's back to looking down at his feet.

That's adorable.



They say there are those who prowl like lions seeking whom they may devour. Well, one someone in particular.



Not this someone, not tonight. Tonight this guy is out with his family. That kid is definitely his. I forget their names- one of them is called Artemis, another's insane.

Moira apparently babysits as Circe is most likely a shitty mom.

I found them out and about in the middle of the night, I'd love to know what activity was appropriate for so many young children after curfew.



Jet writes letters to Christian when she can't come over to study.





Life is good at the moment.



Leila has recently decided to be the alarm clock for the entire household, even when she doesn't need anything and it's 3 in the morning.



This does not go over well. Meghan wakes up as one of the more angry personalities. The hungry one. Either that or she stepped on the squeaky dog toy on her way out of bed.



Dustin gestures warily. “I'll handle it. Leila- bad dog, out.”

Leila: My life is awesome.



The dog decides it's actually Meghan who is being bad and growls at her. She reverts back to herself.



Leila thought she was possessed. Well, she's not exactly wrong. You scared me, human.



Makeup doggy kisses.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


(They're laboratory mice, their genes are cut 'n' spliced, they're Artemis and insane sane sane sane sane...)

Just when I thought I was going to have to intervene (and still am, the consequences of which will derail this entire legacy in the future) Jyoti meets someone. I probably had her message him, as she's been asking everyone to workout lately just to get her to be more social. I don't remember.
Brave and shy turns out to be a really interesting combination, I'm surprised he can be both.



(He looks really scrawny, Jyoti can take him if things get out of hand)


I freaking love Malcolm's pure-hearted smile. (also I probably will misspell his name all the time)



I've never played with a shy sim before, I really had never seen this idle!

It's all in the perception.

Also fun fact; I named Meghan's male teen alter after Malcolm when I saw him at one of the house parties, thinking I'd never encounter him again in game, lol. I just liked the name and it seemed to fit. Her mental character is obviously more of the 'brave, righteously angry' archetype that she needed in her life and probably closer in actuality to Dustin in behavior, who had influence over her as a child.



6 comments:

  1. Cute chapter! Tell me more about this derailing... >=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll become obvious soon enough. All I have to say for myself is that it seemed necessary at the time.

      Also something dramatic, like there is no excuse great enough to make up for what I have done.

      Delete
  2. Malcolm (I misspelled it the first time I tried to type it, too) is super cute! I love the shy animation, although the trait itself is kind of a pain to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine, makes me wonder what conversation pieces become awkward unnecessarily.

      Delete
  3. Shy sims are so cute. Malcolm seems really nice. Their personalities are so different, I wonder if it will work out. Maybe the next gen roll doesn't need it to work out. 😟 Your note at the end is very ominous.

    Awww Leila.

    (Whenever I see the name Malcolm, it reminds me of Malcolm in the Middle. I love that show.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Life is unfaiiiir..." Turns out Malcolm is unlucky, actually. It's all wickedly fitting as he's a townie, and I don't like to change personality traits for sims in my own house, let alone randoms that my sims meet.

      I kind of feel bad hyping it up, but I have what I have for a story from the screenshots, which are all over the place, and it's true that there will be a massive shift that comes on gradually at first. I staged in places to try and make sense of things, because things happen so fast in the game, and- I'm going to not try to explain it so much, lol.

      Also I had an idiot whim again, and we all know how much that rerouted the game plan last time. I swear, having whims doesn't matter at all in the game, but the story- no that, demands justification or sometimes, retribution.

      Delete