Sunday, July 16, 2017

0.06 Arrivals


She's talking about weather. She likes her haircut which is already cooler and makes her more comfortable. She's curious about the town, how so many different types of people are in the same place. The excitement dances in her eyes and he just listens, entranced by it. Such mundane things excite her.




It takes a turn, she openly wonders who's coming for them. There must be someone, is it a good idea to run all over town like this?

The newsstands don't carry a Twinbrook Times here in Mayfield Springs, they should be alright for a while. And actually with all the different kinds of people they've already met it seems like a couple of kids don't really draw any attention. He's able to sooth her concern away.



The conversation is still upbeat. Maybe he should get a haircut, she criticizes lightly. He stands out too much, she can pick him out of a crowd so easily. He shouldn't be, but he feels flattered. Of course they notice each other, they're looking out for each other, he says.



“I'm so glad you aren't dead.” She tells him abruptly, killing the mood.

“So am... I?” He responds awkwardly. He never knows exactly where her mind is at.



They decide to avoid the fair after that, and they're already through the center of town so they won't be going backwards. The subways system is affordable and helps them find a small park to rest at for the night. He uses the sleeping bag first, she uses park facilities. There are guides here about charting stars, the feeling of finding one is amazing. The world is so much bigger than she'd ever imagined.



In the morning she rests and he paints, they're still looking out for each other. His artwork is terrible, he has no idea why anyone would want to do this professionally, but it passes the time.



They get back on the road, almost to the edge of town now.



They stop and rest and discuss the future, but so far nothing is appealing. He says they have time, he thinks she can get ahead pretty quickly because she's a fast learner. It bothers her that she didn't know what she wants to do.

"You could always be a camp counselor, teach kids how to fish or something."

"But wouldn't I have to know how to fish?"

"Nah, Fake it til you make it."

"Wouldn't it be noticeable when I starve to death because I can't catch anything?"

"Nah. I'll bring you lunch or something."



She captures a beetle, and is fascinated watching it. Her desire to learn about the world is helping her forget the past, although she knows she's blocked most things out. Some days in the shed went by too slowly, some barely seemed to happen at all. Not that she had a window to tell time by. How long is a day... to the beetle? She keeps it.



The presence of people comfort her in a way, she doesn't recognize their voices and it's nice. She starts to wonder if she won't be able to put the weirdness of her childhood behind her, after all.



Nearly a week later, Dustin and Meghan arrive in Aurora Springs. The last of their money for travel had been spent on breakfast, Dustin's cousin had gotten them a cab into town. They quietly hold hands, thinking about the future, admiring the beautiful landscape.



The house is charming in a northern, somehow beachy way. “I hope you know you'll be safe here.” He tells her, “My cousin is a good person, even though he can be kind of a smartass sometimes.”




“And you'll... stay with me?” She asks, not for the first time. He doesn't know why she keeps asking that. Was she really so worried he was going to leave her behind, with strangers? 

“Ill stay with you,” He confirms again.

“Then I know I'll be safe.” She replies.



Dustin's older cousin comes out to greet them. He gives the two friends a knowing look when he sees how closely they interact.

“You left out the part about your friend being a girl.” He says, smiling conspiratorially.



“A minor detail.” Dustin sidesteps the teasing. “Have my parents called you? I'm sure they're worried but-”

“Yeah they did. But don't worry, I didn't tell them anything about you coming up here to stay for a while. I know you're the responsible type, so you wouldn't need to be here without having a good reason to.” He looked at Meghan “She's not pregnant or anything, right?”

“Dude, we're like fifteen!” Dustin sputters.

“Yeah I know.” His cousin shrugs.

Meghan thinks he's funny.



A moment later Eugene's wife Lize breezes over and starts rambling, trying to make Meghan feel as welcome as possible. “I have a huge library, I hope you'll read everything! Do you know what you'd like to learn the most about, in school?”

“Science!” Meghan says with excitement. The little taste of knowledge she got while traveling here from the south has only increased her need to understand the world. She wants to learn everything. Going to school would be a dream come true for her. She was used to hearing how stupid she was, how impossible it would be for her to go, how far behind she'd be if she ever tried to go. She's going to work hard to prove herself.



They spend the rest of the summer at the Sparrow place (well Dustin's last name is Sparrow too so whatever). Meghan reads a lot of books and Lize brings her placement tests and helps her with reading comprehension. Lize can't wait to have her own children and is happy to be of help.

Eugene offers to do some research on Meghan's father when he gets spare time from work. He's a journalist, so if anyone can track down the man's whereabouts it would be him. Not that there are plans to contact him. He tells her that knowledge is power, but has a hard time finding out anything.



Dustin and Meghan will start school in the fall, Meghan changes her name on the application to be safe. The school apparently doesn't take part in the amber alert system, so they have no idea about the kid's runaway status, or that Dustin has family other than Eugene and Lize. Meghan calls herself Drea Sparrow, says it's short for Andrea. Drea and Dustin are now supposed to be cousins.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, Aurora Skies! (which is still not where the challenge begins yet lmao) Eugene is socially awkward, Lize is nurturing. Meghan is not pregnant.

I can reveal Meghan's job roll, which is Freelance Scientist. She discovered a few stars already on the way to Eugene & Lize's place, so I'm counting that money and counting the food they ate against them on their journey up north.

The Amber Alert system is some non-working garbage about finding lost children that I have no confidence in as an American. For example when two parents are fighting over custody and one of the skips out of state with their child and makes a run for it, the amber alert system sends out licence plates info and names over the radio and on digital bilboards. Given that it's used for family dispute type disappearances this annoys me, because plenty of children are legitimately missing with no connection to family. That, and some of the people who work there are creepy. I wouldn't report a kid to them if I found one lost. I'd take the kid to a church or something first.

Also, I hope the pace of the story is okay so far, I know they've just been wondering around for a while.

-The Frog

6 comments:

  1. I was somewhat wondering when they'd move in with Dustin's relatives.

    I don't think England has anything like that? I've never heard of anything. Depending on who you are, you either get Scotland Yard if you're rich enough to make up a fuss like the Madeline McCann case, or you get the local police and crappy European police forces in the case of Ben Needham. Nothing specific I don't think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there are some huge child trafficking problems in Ohio where I live that people don't really find enough out about, especially the Toledeo area as that city sits close to Michigan and Indiana, so kids are taken from Wal Mart (not kidding it's the number one place for children to disappear from) and sent out of state as quickly as possible to tie up law enforcement with paperwork. The way it goes here is that cops need a warrant from a judge if they have suspicious evidence, and they can't chase people they're suspicious of across state lines unless they actively witness a breaking of the law. This buys drug and human traffickers time so if they lay low they can get away quickly.

      It makes me incredibly angry to see a BS system like Amber Alert being used so publicly when legitimately endangered children end up on a post card tacked to a bulletin board at the grocery that nobody looks at.

      Plus there's a woman who was convicted of endangering children (30 or so) who were taken from Haiti under the watch of the Clinton Foundation (it's a 'charity') who changed her name and got a job high up with the Amber Alert system. How the hell she's not in jail right now I'd LOVE to know. But it's classic for pedophiles and the like that they get jobs in day cares. I could go on all day, sorry if it's TMI but I know you like psychology too so I thought you might be interested in more of that story.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that they made it to Eugene's relatively safely! And lmao he thought Meghan was pregnant. It's a legitimate question, though. Lize seems great, too.

    I didn't know that child trafficking was a problem in Ohio! It seems like such an unassuming state. When I have kids I will never leave them alone in walmart, that's terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the fact that Gene is 'Inappropriate' and I gave him the 'in a good way' LTR I was sure he would ask a question like this.

      And Lize reminds me of Belle from Beauty and the Beast. She just likes reading and cooking and has all of her adventures through her many bookcases, totally content with life.

      Yeah I'm not sure how Ohio ranks according to other states (the DC area and into Virginia has issues with it too), but I've lived here my whole life and when I started learning about it I realized how often it's glossed over. As if the attitude is 'kids go missing: not newsworthy' or something. That and I've known my fair share of cops and park rangers so I learned more from them which might be jaded on the bad side because they have to learn stats like this in ongoing training.

      LOTS of pedophile arrests have been happening under Sessions this year though, 1500 arrests from Jan 27- Feb 14 alone in TN, PA, CA, IL, VI, OH etc etc. I'm sure the numbers are more insane now. There was a raid of an adoption agency even. >.> And yeah if you're ever travelling or deciding where to move, just google the zip codes along with 'crime statistics'. That's what I do when I want a cheap hotel in a safe place lol. But hundreds of kids have been rescued recently so there's a silver lining.

      Delete
  3. Those two are so sweet together! I liked the first paragraph in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have grown attached, honestly. But they do sort of mesh, I wasn't really expecting it since I randomized three of each of their traits and the other two were more for their job rolls.
      Thanks for commenting, too! <3

      Delete